LAST UPDATED: Mar 2019
Your privacy is important to us. This privacy statement explains what personal data Quidtree collects from you, through our interactions with you and through our products, and how we use that data. This statement refers to the following services:
- Website https://quidtree.com, https://datamappr.com
- Quidtree Platform https://app.quidtree.com https://app.datamappr.com, including testing, staging and backup servers
- Customer Relations
For the purposes of applicable EU data protection law (including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), we are a ‘data controller’ of your personal information.
Personal Data We Collect
Quidtree collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our products. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you contact us via our contact form or subscribe to our newsletter. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our products by, for example, using technologies like cookies.
We also obtain data from third parties. We protect data obtained from third parties according to the practices described in this statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These third-party sources vary over time, but have included:
- Data brokers from which we purchase demographic data to supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks when you grant Quidtree permission to access your data on one or more networks.
- Service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain products to your location.
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities.
- Publicly-available sources such as open government databases or other data in the public domain, to supplement the data we collect.
You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a product or feature, you may not be able to use that product or feature.
The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with Quidtree, the choices you make, including your privacy settings, and the products and features you use. The data we collect can include the following:
- Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
- Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country, and preferred language.
- Device and Usage data. We collect data about your device and how you and your device interact with Quidtree, for example with the subscription to the blog and statistics on articles read. We collect data about the performance of the products and any problems you experience with them. This data helps us to diagnose problems in the products you use, and to improve our products and provide solutions.
- Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the blog posts you enjoy reading, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.
- Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships, if applicable, for example regarding people that work in the same organization.
- Location data. For products with location-enhanced features, we collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) data (e.g., GPS), as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based products or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.
- Content. We collect content of your files, attachments and communications when necessary to provide you with the products you use. If you send an email using our contact form, we collect the content of the entries of in the form to enable us to reply to it and store it until you choose to delete it. The collection of content includes feedback given to our support as well as feedback about us on public sites.
- User Activity. As a Quidtree registered user when using the Quidtree Platform we track which features are used the most at which times by which users. This helps us prioritize the improvements we make in the future.
Further data is collected as a Quidtree registered user when using the Quidtree Platform.
- Uploaded Data. The data you upload and enter into the Quidtree Platform needs to be stored in Quidtree, in order for us to process your data. The servers we use are stored in the EU and we only work with companies to process your that have a proven high regard for data security such as Microsoft and MongoDB. Your data is processed and stored via a secure connection. Your data might be used in the scope of an internal product analysis to better the Quidtree Platform, make it more user-friendly, make it faster as well as more intelligent.
- Payment Information. We do not store credit card information. Instead we use the third-party service Chargebee integrated with the payment Provider Stripe to process your payment information securely.
How We Use Personal Data
Quidtree uses the data we collect for three basic purposes, described in more detail below: (1) to operate our business and provide (including improving and personalizing) the products we offer, (2) to send and receive communications, including promotional communications, and (3) to show advertising, whether in our own products supported by advertising or in products offered by third parties.
Providing our Products.
We use data to provide and improve the products we offer and perform essential business operations. This includes operating the products, maintaining and improving the performance of the products, developing new features, conducting research, and providing customer support. Examples of such use cases include the following:
- Providing the Products. We use data to carry out your transactions with us and to provide our products to you. Often, those products include personalized features and recommendations that enhance your productivity and enjoyment, and automatically tailor your product experiences based on the data we have about your activities, interests and location.
- Customer Support. We use the data provided by you to diagnose and repair product problems on a global level and provide other customer care and support services.
- Product Activation. We use data—such as device and application type, location, and unique device, application, network and subscription identifiers—to activate software and devices that require activation.
- Product Improvement. We use data to continually improve our products, including adding new features or capabilities. For example, we use error reports to improve security features, search queries to improve the relevancy of the of future blog articles and usage data to determine what new features to prioritize.
- Security, Safety and Dispute Resolution. We use data to protect the security and safety of our products and our customers, to detect and prevent fraud, to confirm the validity of software licenses, to resolve disputes and enforce our agreements. For example, we may malicious attacks on our website.
- Business Operations. We use data to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions, and report on the performance of our business.
We use data we collect to communicate with you and personalize our communications with you. For example, we may contact you by phone or email or other means to inform you when a subscription is ending, ask for feedback, discuss your account, let you know when updates are available, update you or inquire about a service or repair request, invite you to participate in a survey, or tell you that you need to take action to keep your account active. Additionally, you can sign up for email subscriptions and choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from Quidtree as well as an inquire for support when using the platform.
Quidtree does not use what you say in email, chat, or other personal files to target ads to you.
We use data we collect through our interactions with you, through some of our products and on third-party web properties, to show advertising. For example:
- Quidtree may use your data to select and deliver some of the ads you see on Quidtree web properties, such as quidtre.com.
- When using a browser that has cookies enabled, we use third-party programs to embed a cookie to select and deliver ads.
- We may share data we collect with third parties, such as Google, Facebook, Twitter (see below), so that they can select and deliver some of the ads you see in our products, their products, or other sites and apps serviced by these partners.
- Partnered advertisers may choose to promote Quidtree, during which they collect information on their sites, such as activities or link clicks, and share this information with Quidtree; we use this data on behalf of our advertising partners and aggregate it into other collected data. We also share data directly with service providers, Google, Facebook, Twitter (see below), to permit them to provide services on our behalf or to partner with us in selecting and serving ads for our advertising partners.
The ads that you see may be selected based on data we process about you, such as your interests and favorites, your location, your transactions, how you use our products, your search queries, or the content you view, but also from the data collected from you by other parties. The ads that you see may also be selected based on other information learned about you over time using demographic data, location data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data from our products and sites, as well as the sites and apps of our advertisers and partners. We refer to these ads as “interest-based advertising” in this statement. If you opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, data associated with these cookies will not be used.
Further details regarding our advertising-related uses of data include:
- Children and Advertising. We do not deliver interest-based advertising to children that we are aware are under 13 years of age.
- Data Retention. For interest-based advertising, we retain data for no more than 13 months, unless we obtain your consent to retain the data longer.
- Data Sharing. In some cases, we share with advertisers reports about the data we have collected on their sites or ads.
- Data Collected by Other Advertising Companies. Advertisers sometimes include their own web beacons (or those of their other advertising partners) within their advertisements that we display, enabling them to set and read their own cookie. Additionally, Quidtree partners with third-party ad companies to help provide some of our advertising services, and we also might allow other third-party ad companies to display advertisements on our sites. These third parties may place cookies on your computer and collect data about your online activities across websites or online services. These companies currently include but are not limited to: at the time none. You may find more information on each company’s practices, including the choices it offers, by clicking on the company names above.
Reasons We Share Personal Data
We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any product you have requested or authorized. For example, we share your content with third parties when you tell us to do so, such as when you send an email to us or invite a colleague to join the platform. When you provide payment data to make a purchase, your data is shared with PCI complaint third-party services to process your payment data along with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or provide other financial services, such as for fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
In addition, we share personal data among Quidtree-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we’ve hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.
Finally, we will access, transfer, disclose, and preserve personal data, including your content, when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
- comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
- protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of our products, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
- operate and maintain the security of our products, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
- protect the rights or property of Quidtree, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Quidtree, we might not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
How to Control Your Personal Data
You can view, edit, or delete your personal data online for many Quidtree products. You can also request to have an export of all of your personal data sent to you via email. You can make choices about Quidtree’s collection and use of your data. How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which products you use. For example, in our newsletter subscription service you can view and change your settings by clicking on the link to manage your preferences at the bottom of any email.
Your Communications Preferences
You can let us know how you wish to be communicated by and we will try to accommodate your preferences. Communications via email is our standard practice.
Your Advertising Choices
You may opt in of receiving interest-based advertising from Quidtree when selecting your cookie preferences. When you opt in, your selection will be stored in a cookie that is specific to the web browser you are using. The opt in cookie has an expiration date of no more than five years. If you delete the cookies on your device, you will need to opt in again.
You can also opt in to receive email based marketing. You can view and change your settings by clicking on the link to manage your preferences at the bottom of any email.
You can also opt in to receive personalized marketing from Quidtree. You can revoke this at any time by contacting us, in which you will be blacklisted from any further personalized marketing efforts.
Because the data used for interest-based advertising is also used for other necessary purposes (including providing our products, analytics and fraud detection), opting out of interest-based advertising does not stop that data from being collected. Nor does it mean you will stop getting ads or see fewer ads. However, if you do opt out, the ads you receive will no longer be interest-based and may be less relevant to your interests.
You can opt out of receiving interest-based advertising from third parties we partner with by visiting their sites.
- Cookie Controls. Relevant browser-based cookie controls are described in the Cookies section of this privacy statement.
- Tracking Protection. Some browsers have as a feature called Tracking Protection that will block third-party content, including cookies, from any site that is listed in a Tracking Protection List you add. By limiting calls to these sites, the browser will limit the information these third-party sites can collect about you.
- Browser Controls for “Do Not Track.” Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” (DNT) features that can send a signal to the websites you visit indicating you do not wish to be tracked.
Cookies & Similar Technologies
- Storing your Preferences and Settings. Settings that enable our products to operate correctly or that maintain your preferences over time may be stored on your device.
- Sign-in and Authentication. When you sign into Quidtree, we store a unique ID number, and the time you signed in, in an encrypted cookie on your device. This cookie allows you to move from page to page within the site without having to sign in again on each page. You can also save your sign-in information so you do not have to sign in each time you return to the site.
- Storing Information you Provide to a Service. When you make changes without saving, or define a view preference in the platform, such as they way you prefer to view you data. in some cases this information is saved.
- Social Media. Some of our websites include social media cookies, including those that enable users who are logged in to the social media service to share content via that service.
In addition to the cookies Quidtree sets when you visit our websites, third parties may also set cookies when you visit Quidtree sites. In some cases, that is because we have hired the third party to provide services on our behalf, such as site analytics. In other cases, it is because our web pages contain content or ads from third parties, such as videos, news content or ads delivered by other ad networks. Because your browser connects to those third parties’ web servers to retrieve that content, those third parties are able to set or read their own cookies on your device and may collect information about your online activities across websites or online services.
How to Control Cookies
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but provide controls that allow you to block or delete them. Instructions for blocking or deleting cookies in your browser may be available in each browser’s privacy or help documentation.
Certain features of Quidtree’s products depend on cookies. Please be aware that if you choose to block cookies, you may not be able to sign in or use those features and preferences that are dependent on cookies may be lost. If you choose to delete cookies, settings and preferences controlled by those cookies, including advertising preferences, will be deleted and may need to be recreated.
Additional privacy controls that can impact cookies, including Tracking Protection and DNT statements.
Our Use of Web Beacons and Analytics Services
Quidtree web pages may contain electronic images known as web beacons (also called single-pixel gifs) that we use to help deliver cookies on our websites, count users who have visited those websites and deliver co-branded products. We also include web beacons in our promotional email messages or newsletters to determine whether you open and act on them.
In addition to placing web beacons on our own websites, we sometimes work with other companies to place our web beacons on their websites or in their advertisements. This helps us develop statistics on how often clicking on an advertisement on a Quidtree website results in a purchase or other action on the advertiser’s website.
Finally, Quidtree products often contain web beacons or similar technologies from third-party analytics providers, which help us compile aggregated statistics about the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns or other operations. These technologies enable the analytics providers to set or read their own cookies or other identifiers on your device, through which they can collect information about your online activities across applications, websites or other products. However, we prohibit these analytics providers from using web beacons on our sites to collect or access information that directly identifies you (such as your name or email address). You can opt out of data collection or use by some of these analytics providers by clicking the following links:
- At the time none
Other Similar Technologies
In addition to standard cookies and web beacons, our products can also use other similar technologies to store and read data files on your computer. This is typically done to maintain your preferences or to improve speed and performance by storing certain files locally. But, like standard cookies, these technologies can also be used to store a unique identifier for your computer, which can then be used to track behavior. These technologies include Local Shared Objects (or “Flash cookies”).
Local Shared Objects or “Flash cookies.”
Web sites that use Adobe Flash technologies can use Local Shared Objects or “Flash cookies” to store data on your computer. To manage or block Flash cookies, go to:
Notice to End Users
Many Quidtree products are intended for use by organizations and are administered to you by your organization. Your use of Quidtree products may be subject to your organization’s policies, if any. If your organization is administering your use of the Quidtree products, please direct your privacy inquiries to your administrator. Quidtree is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this privacy statement.
If you use an email address provided by an organization you are affiliated with, such as an employer or school, to access Quidtree online services, the owner of the domain (e.g., your employer) associated with your email address may: (i) control and administer your Quidtree online services account and (ii) access and process your data, including the contents of your communications and files.
Security of Personal Data
Quidtree is committed to protecting the security of your personal data. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal data from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When we transmit highly confidential data (such as passwords) over the internet, we protect it through the use of encryption.
Where We Store and Process Personal Data
Personal data collected by Quidtree may be stored and processed in your region, but is predominantly stored and processed in the EU region, and may be stored and processed in any other country where Quidtree or its affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities. Typically, the primary storage location is in the EU region. The storage location(s) are chosen in order to operate efficiently, to improve performance, and to create redundancies in order to protect the data in the event of an outage or other problem. We take steps to ensure that the data we collect under this privacy statement is processed according to the provisions of this statement and the requirements of applicable law wherever the data is located.
We use a number of third-party services, that in certain cases also process and store your personal data. For example, (i) if you’ve provided us with personalized Marketing consent, we might send your personal data your data we’ve gathered from you to marketing platforms, such as Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Twitter or Microsoft, in order to supply you with personalized Marketing. (ii) if you have consented to email marketing your personal data will be processed and stored in Mailchimp, that we use as an Email automation service provider. (iii) if you communicate with us at all, e.g. via email or through a form, your personal data entries will be stored in Hubspot, that we use to manage our customer data. (iv) in regards to recruiting if you apply for a position via social media messaging, we might transfer your data into our contacts. (v) if you contact us via email, your personal data and communications might be stored at Google, as we use the G-Suite platform as our email provider. (vi) if register on the platform your data will be stored on our own EU hosted servers through Microsoft Azure.
If you have further more detailed questions regarding our processes, tools, and data transfers, we are very transparent and will gladly answer any question you might have.
Our Retention of Personal Data
Quidtree retains personal data for as long as necessary to provide the products and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different data types in the context of different products, actual retention periods can vary significantly. The criteria used to determine the retention periods include:
- How long is the personal data needed to provide the products and operate our business?This includes such things as maintaining and improving the performance of those products, keeping our systems secure, and maintaining appropriate business and financial records. This is the general rule that establishes the baseline for most data retention periods.
- Do customers provide, create, or maintain the data with the expectation we will retain it until they affirmatively remove it? Examples include uploading a profile image; we maintain the data until you actively delete it.
- Is there an automated control that enables the customer to access and delete the personal data at any time?If there is not, a shortened data retention time will generally be adopted.
- Is the personal data of a sensitive type?If so, a shortened retention time would generally be appropriate.
- Has Quidtree adopted and announced a specific retention period for a certain data type?For example, for cookie IDs and other cross-session identifiers after a maximum 18 months.
- Has the user provided consent for a longer retention period?If so, we will retain data in accordance with your consent.
- Is Quidtree subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain the data?Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation, or data that must be retained for the purposes of litigation, especially in regards to invoices.
Collection of Data From Children
When a Quidtree product collects age it will either block users under 13 or will ask them to provide consent from a parent or guardian before they can use it. We will not knowingly ask children under 13 to provide more data than is necessary to provide the product.
Once parental consent is granted, the child’s account is treated much like any other account.
Parents can change or revoke the consent choices previously made, and review, edit or request the deletion of their children’s personal data.
Preview or Free of Charge Releases
Quidtree offers preview, insider, beta or other free-of-charge products and features (“previews”) to enable you to evaluate them while providing feedback, including performance and usage data, to Quidtree. As a result, previews can automatically collect additional data, provide fewer controls, and otherwise employ different privacy and security measures than those typically present in our products. If you participate in previews, we may contact you about your feedback or your interest in continuing to use the product after general release.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We will update this privacy statement when necessary to reflect customer feedback and changes in our products. When we post changes to this statement, we will revise the “last updated” date at the top of the statement. If there are material changes to the statement or in how Quidtree will use your personal data, we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review this privacy statement to learn how Quidtree is protecting your information.
How to Contact Us
If you have a question regarding your data privacy, please visit write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.